Do you know the damages smoking does to your health? Have you ever wondered?
Do you know how to recover from it?
Your lungs are badly affected by smoking. Coughs, colds and asthma are only just the start. Smoking also causes fatal problems such heart diseases, fertility problems, pregnancy issues, type-2 diabetes, vision problems, weak immune system, poor oral health as well as several cancers specially throat and lung cancer.
Smoking mainly causes 84% of deaths from lung cancer and 83% of deaths from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Smoking is no longer cool and flaunting.
Smoking is as addictive as it feels, owing to its ill effects towards health many a smoker has tried to quit. Some were successful while others were not because they just wanted a drag while their colleagues smoked or that one cigarette on a weekend or maybe they just could not get that much score in PUBG!!!
Reasons to smoke are many but to quit it requires lots of efforts to proceed though the right mechanism to quit smoking still lurks
How does one quit smoking?
The most popular method is an alternative drug, simply put a nicotine gum or pop in a pill and wait for the urge to go away…Really!!!
They have their own side effects and aren’t as healthy as it seems. The second most common practice is, counselling: but this solution has its own drawbacks and one of the major drawback is the lack of awareness.
But there is still a silver lining: Working out.
Yes, you read it right. We all know smoking harms our health and make us weak from core but at the same time working out help you quit smoking fast and easily… How??? You may ask…
According to different studies, workout has an instant effect on mood that helps to ease out and manages the stress level which in turn stops the urge of smoking, it does so by the secretion of mood enhancing hormones every time of workout and simultaneously take care of the health also detoxify the body.
While avoiding smoking may trigger the urge to smoke, you probably can’t avoid the cravings entirely. Fortunately, cravings don’t last long—typically, about 5 to 10 minutes. If you’re tempted to light up, always remind yourself that the craving will soon pass and try to wait for it to out. It helps you to be prepared in advance by having strategies to cope with cravings.
Here is a list of activities that are proved to be a catalyst towards lowering the urge to smoke
- Walking: It is the hero of all work outs. Walking is said to decrease anxiety levels. Take a walk after lunch and dinner, perhaps ask a co-worker, friend, or family member to join. Always be sure to choose companions who don’t smoke! Gradually lengthen your walks and achieve its benefits.
- Yoga: One needs to be aware about the ill effects of smoking and the reason why they are smoking. Once they have established that, there are plenty of Asanas that help the respiratory system and the nervous system helps to quit like Kapal Bhati Pranayam, Nadi Shodan Pranayam, Bhujangasana, Shavasana, Shishusana etc. Start the Asanas early in the morning, breath in some fresh air and you would never want to take another drag of poison again.
- Swimming: This one comes with a big smile on each one of you, ‘WATER BABIES’. Swimming is an activity that improves the function of lungs more than any other physical activity. It helps improve cardiovascular and mental health. Swimming also helps to elevate mood via secretion of endorphins which are neurotransmitters that increase sensations of the body.
- Dancing: Dancing is one of the enjoyable way of working out. People enjoy dancing as it lets them sway with the music. When they dance, it helps their lungs and cardiovascular muscles at the same time also helps to elevate the mood.
Have you ever seen anybody sad or depressed while they are dancing??? You have the answer…
- There are plenty of other ways to work out such as Pilates, Cross-Fit, Gym, jogging, Running and Marital Arts. Other not so conventional way would be walking with your pet, taking up a sport, gardening, housework, water sports and hiking.
Now that you have picked up your muse, let’s make an achievable plan. Do the following:
- Set a regular time to indulge in any activity. You can start with 15-30 minutes every day.
- Increase the time gradually also add an intensive activity once a week.
- Do the dishes, cook your favorite meal, turn on the TV, take a shower, or call a friend and do chit-chat. The activity doesn’t matter, the thing that matters is to remove the shit of smoking out of your mind.
- Every time you feel the urge to smoke, go for a walk or do some basic activity with someone who doesn’t smoke.
- Join a class or a group in case you cannot stick to the schedule or set a goal that makes you feel motivated to achieve your goal.
- Always focus on the reasons for quitting, including all its health benefits such as lowering the risk of heart disease and lung cancer. It also improves the appearance and enhances the self-esteem by saving the money.
- Lastly, Reward yourself…Celebrate your Whenever you triumph over a craving, gift yourself and keep motivated.
So what are you waiting for??? Say no to smoking and throw away that cigarette pack which is lurking in your pockets and choose a healthier and happier lifestyle.